1. The sense of smell provokes the production of saliva in the mouth.
2. We swallow* the food into the oesophagus, a tube that links* the throat with the stomach.
3. The stomach breaks down* food excreting gastric juices.
4. The food becomes a liquid and mixes with bile (produced by the liver) and pancreatic juices. Nutrients are absorbed into the blood*.
5. The waste* passes to the large intestine. Water is absorbed into the blood. Solid waste leaves the body through the anus.
*to swallow: to take food or liquid down the throat
to link: to join or to connect
to break down: to disintegrate a substance
blood: red liquid that flows throughout the body
wastes: garbage, excrements